Stopped In Our Tracks


Stopped In Our Tracks

Stories of U.G. In India from the Notebooks of K. Chandrasekhar
Translated and Edited by J.S.R.L. Narayana Moorty
 2d/3d Series


 




Who Is Crazy?


There was a psychiatrist, a leading psychiatrist, who came to see me in Marseilles. We talked for hours and hours and days. He wanted to be with me all the time. He was one of the top-notch psychiatrists and psychologists. One day, I think he remained with me for 24 hours. He talked, talked and talked. "This is a textbook case, a mental case, you know. I should put you in the hospital for the way you talk," he said, "but there is one question I really don't know, whether I am insane or you are insane."

So he left his job after that encounter with me. Luckily, he had some other degree. He had specialized in tropical medicine and left psychiatry. "What I am doing in the hospital is something terrible," he said. He went away because he thought that if he had remained with me for long he would go crazy. I never saw him again.





Blogger